Wednesday, February 5, 2014

How to "Pretzel" Anything


Ever bite into one of those pretzel buns and thought, "Hey, this is just a regular bun with a pretzel outside!"  Well, that's because it is!   Basically in order to turn something into a pretzel you make your normal bread dough and then you do the following steps.  Enjoy your pretzeled life from now on!  But be careful, pretzeling may cause excessive eating of such things that are pretzeled!!

I have made a couple different pretzel recipes and this is the technique they always use, but the first time I did it I seriously felt like I was doing everything wrong.  That is why I decided to take pictures and write this post so you all can feel confident and know that you aren't doing anything wrong. 

First you just start with your normal dough for whatever you were making… bread sticks, rolls, buns, bread, whatever!  After it has risen all of the way you begin the process.  I am using rolls now. 


You mix water with baking soda (I put 6 cups to 4 tablespoons of baking soda) in a large frying pan and let it come to a simmer. 


It starts to steam baking soda everywhere and it looks like you are a mad scientist! 


Then you put the raw dough in the lightly boiling baking soda water for 30-60 seconds on each side.  I know, it seems really weird and I doubted myself horribly when I first did this, but it's right! 


After they have been boiled in the baking soda on each side take them out and place them on your greased cookie sheet.  They look really old and gross when they come out. 


Next you are going to whip up an egg white and baste it over the top of them


Then you grind salt over the top. 



Since I was making rolls, I sliced them down the middle to create a nice split when they baked. 


Then you bake them until they look like pretzels and voila everyone thinks you are an amazing cook!




If you pretzel anything, tell me about it on here!  I want to know!


Here are the directions put together so you don't have to scroll =)

What you need:
6 Cups Water
4 Tablespoons Baking Soda
1 Egg White
Salt
Dough from whatever you are making

1. Start with your normal dough for whatever you were making… bread sticks, rolls, buns, bread, whatever!  After it has risen all of the way you begin the process.  I am using rolls now. 
2. You mix water with baking soda (I put 6 cups to 4 tablespoons of baking soda) in a large frying pan and let it come to a simmer. 
3. Then you put the raw dough in the lightly boiling baking soda water for 30-60 seconds on each side.  
4. After they have been boiled in the baking soda on each side take them out and place them on your greased cookie sheet.  
5.  Whip up an egg white and baste it over the top of them
6.  Grind salt over the top of them
7.  I sliced them down the middle to create a nice split when they baked
8.  Bake them until they look like pretzels, everything is different



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews